Sunday 15 June 2014

A whole new world




Soooo much has happened since my last post and I am only two weeks in…. I have been all over the place and I am still sticking to the plan of just taking it as it comes!! The highs and lows really do go from one extreme to the other… I wasn’t really prepared for that. In all of my preparation to come away I knew how important it would be to make connections with the volunteers already in country… now I am here I realize not only is it important it is a lifeline! I really don’t know what I would do without them! Arriving not only into a new country but a whole new culture alone is SCARY!!! Nothing-here works as it does in the UK people’s attitudes to everything are so different. I am so used to having an order to doing things that allow me to be most efficient. Those of you that know me know I am not always the most organized person…. Compared to here I’m a control freak!!! Its fine and I can go with it until I need to try and get something done, then it’s frustrating. Its funny though because everything works out just fine… people just don’t seem to get too stressed maybe I will learn a thing or two!!

One top tip that I have learned the hard way, do not bring travellers cheques to Malawi. No where will cash them!! I eventually managed to talk to someone (after being sent from piller to post) that allowed me to pay them into my account… but it will take 3 weeks to clear..grr. However my UK bank card works perfectly well here so I actually would have been better to leave the money where it was and withdraw it, rather then making a last minute dash to the bureau de change at the airport and being stuck for cash week one… That was probably my moment of feeling most vulnerable. New country, no access to money…shit! But an angel in the shape of another volunteer came to my rescue… like I said a lifeline!! Lesson – never travel without your debit card and never rely on traveller’s cheque!!

My meeting with the Malawi Nurses and Midwives council was very interesting… the lady I spoke with didn’t really understand A. that I am “just” a midwife and B. That I could be a qualified midwife without ever doing a ventouse….. Midwives here are expected to carry out ventouse births, breech births (yay) and there is no such thing as a forceps birth!! After a very interesting conversation I managed to convince her that I am indeed a qualified midwife!! She then informed me that I would be able to complete my orientation at Nkhoma district hospital. I will spend 4 weeks working on the maternity unit to obtain my MNMC registration.



My new home
Arriving at my new home in Nkhoma was definitely a high. It was above any expectation that I could have had. It’s a beautiful old colonial house set up on a hill with beautiful views. I am sharing with two other VSO volunteers who have been amazing in helping me to settle in. We have a massive garden with an impressive vegetable patch that some previous volunteers put a lot of hard work into, very grateful to them!! We are lucky as we can get all of our fruit and vegetables from the garden, which makes a huge difference when living on a volunteers allowance.

The college is also very picturesque! There are 3 classrooms, a relatively well-stocked library and an amazing skills lab that I cannot wait to get my hands on. Very exciting!  

The college
This week I spent some time getting to grips with the curriculum at the college. We currently have 75 first year students and 49 third years. We don’t have any second years due to financial problems. The students here train in both nursing and midwifery. The students that I will be teaching train for 3 years to become Nurse midwife technicians. They do two modules of midwifery theory and practice in their third year. I have learned that these students obtain a certificate upon passing that is only recognized within Malawi and which doesn’t recognize the students as “professionals”. This is because Malawi as with a lot of African countries face the problem of training nurses and midwives that will go on to leave the country and work abroad. The nurse midwife technicians are then deployed to areas where it is felt they are needed. 

A classroom
A key focus here at the moment is on maternal and child health. The maternal mortality rate is still very high at 675 per 100,000 births. There is currently a debate around converting the qualification so that the students can be recognized as registered nurses/midwives, which is a Bsc qualification. It is all very difficult to get to grips with. It seems bizarre to me that the students train for so little time in midwifery when it is one of the areas where the skills are most needed. I am definitely going to have my work cut out!
The library
 On Wednesday we travelled back to Lilongwe for a conference aimed at “valuing nurses and midwives and the role of international and local volunteers in improving health service delivery in Malawi” It was a very positive conference that brought together leading organisations and volunteers to discuss all manner of issues surrounding Maternal and child health and what is being done in order to combat such issues. It was really good to see that the problems that are being faced in Malawi are being recognized and that people are working very hard together in order to try and bring about positive changes.
The conference
It was at this conference that I got to meet the other VSO health volunteers from across the country. All of who were very welcoming. I was particularly excited the meet the only other midwife volunteer currently in country with VSO we had a lot to discuss!! Unfortunately though my time at the conference was cut short as the next day I was taken sick with a very horrible bug that resulted in me being admitted to the hospital and missing the second day of the conference… I had rather hoped my first hospital experience would be as a health care provider rather then a patient but hey! It was very interesting to observe the different ways things are done. I’m sure the private clinic that I was in is not much of a comparison to where I will be working. But it was a gentle introduction to how basic health care facilities here are. Now I am well on the mend and preparing to start work at Nkhoma hospital tomorrow. Where I am sure my eyes will be opened even wider!!










No comments:

Post a Comment