Thursday 26 June 2014

Reality check


Last week I was very busy on the delivery suite and at the weekend I travelled to Liwonde safari park which was a very welcome break!

The labour ward is very different to what we have in the UK. The ward is divided up into 6 cubicles that are large enough for a small bed and a little walking space either side! There is no such thing as privacy on the ward, which I found quite shocking. You are able to stand in one bay and look over to see what is happening in the others… However I soon discovered that quite often there are only two midwives on duty and the ward could be full and therefore they need to be able to easily see what is happening with everyone. I found quite quickly that I had to stop trying to compare things to what I am used to and just go with what they have. The midwives here work very hard in a very poor resourced area and they really do try their best. I think as an outsider its easy to come in and see where things can be improved but its important to first understand why things are being done the way they are. I had a very interesting week that involved lots of births including two breeches and twins! 



They do not have an obstetrician where I am working so the midwives do everything… its great!! I managed to do lots of promoting of delayed cord clamping and skin to skin which made me feel like I was achieving something even if it was just with my women… for now.

Friday afternoon one of my worst fears I had coming here came true. Sadly we lost a mum. I knew it would happen at some point and with such a high maternal death rate it was inevitable. However that does not make you any more prepared. It was horrible. We did everything we could for her but it wasn’t enough. She left behind a 10 day old baby who will now be cared for by her husband and extended family.

It really reiterated to me the highs and lows you experience on a maternity unit. I was so happy that I’d had very positive outcomes with all my births. I was actually having the best week ever. But in an instance that all changed. The most frustrating thing is if the right resources had been available the outcome could have been very different. But that’s a very big if. It brought me back down to earth. I am in Africa and the situation here is not good. The focus is on maternal and infant mortality for a reason. Volunteers are really needed here. I just hope I can make a difference! 


I was very glad to get away at the weekend to somewhere so tranquil. It gave me some much needed time out to reflect. We saw lots of hippos, which are supposed to be one of the most dangerous animals in Africa… but I think they are quite cute! We also saw lots of elephants, baboons, waterbuck and wart hogs or as our guide referred to them, Pumbas! On our way home we stopped off at a market where people selling their fresh produce surrounded our van. It was great I did all my shopping through the minibus window! I arrived home Sunday evening recharged and ready to face the week ahead!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment